Friday, February 13, 2009

I'm Leaving Tomorrow!

But that's not the same thing as being there....


I have a daunting day of travel ahead of me. Leaving Balcones Woods Drive at approximately 5:00 am February 14 and arriving in the Shanghai/Pudong International Airport at approximately 5:45 pm on February 15.

This evening, while having my final American meal (at Chuy's Tex Mex) I tried to wrap my head around the implications that crossing time zones and the international date line would have on my actual time in the airplane versus estimated time from door to door. Further confusing my efforts was an interesting little factoid I recently learned about China: The entire country of China has only 1 time zone. Ultimately, I settled on the estimate that it will be a long f*cking flight. Needless to say i've packed some entertainment and hopefully between my book and roughly 9.5 hours worth of Dudley and Bob podcasts on my ipod I will be able to keep from going completely crazy.


My next entry will be from Shanghai, wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. So technically, by crossing the time line going west, you went back to the future, yes?

    ReplyDelete